About Me

My photo
I don't much care for human nature unless it's all candied over with art.

8/11/2013

Recipe - Steamed Mussels



I was going to make this recipe my internet friend linked me, because NOM and CHEESE, but my mussels were a bit too small and weren't already on the half shell. I am lazy so I wasn't going to spend an hour prying open two pounds of mussels.

I threw this together instead:

1/4 cup of red wine
1/4 cup of water
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, quartered
2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
2 motherflippin' pounds of mussels

Prepare the mussels - take any that are open and stick them in a bowl of cold water for a couple of minutes to see if they close. Throw out the ones that don't end up closing then rinse the rest thoroughly under cold water.

Throw wine, water and garlic into large pot. Bring to a boil and let flavours meld for a couple of minutes.

Toss in celery, carrots and onion and continue to boil until slightly softened (approx 5 minutes.)

Dump in all mussels, seal with a loosely fitting lid and let steam for exactly 5-7 minutes.

Remove mussels from pot, leaving any liquid in the pot.

And that's it.

image

I may have over cooked these by about a minute but no one complained. I served them with a simple garden salad, a fresh baguette and melted butter.

No comments: