About Me

My photo
I don't much care for human nature unless it's all candied over with art.

8/22/2014

Fiction - As Yet Untitled Romance Series - Part 1

These pieces were written as a submission for Cosmopolitan magazine's Bedroom Blog (which is possibly now defunct? I can't seem to find the master URL for the series). I didn't get the gig but this was surprisingly fun to write. It was interesting to try out a new, much lighter and more carefree style. People criticize romance but honestly, I find it freeing to write. I mean, it's a little silly, but isn't that the point?

I'd like to keep adding to this story, maybe as a weekly ongoing series.

Enjoy!

PART 1

“So is dad coming or what?”

My mom was turned away from me, her cellphone hidden beneath her perfectly coiffed, ever-shining blonde hair.

“Mom? Hello?”

She turned and held up a slim finger. Her ice blue eyes, so exactly like mine, were crinkled in concentration.

I looked around. Students in their black and red graduation robes were still milling around, chatting with each other and with their families. Fixing my own robe at the collar, I tapped my foot impatiently, my pedicured toenails flashing in the sun.

“He can’t make it,” my mom said finally, hanging up the phone.

As usual, I kept my face impassive, swallowing my disappointment. If I said anything, she would have lectured me on how it was enough that he paid for my education and he had only been able to do so by working as much as he did.

But seriously! What parent doesn't make the time to come to their only child’s graduation from Harvard business school?

“Fine,” I said, then repeated it in a more cheerful voice. “I think we have to line up now anyway so…”

But my mom was already back on the phone, probably talking to a client.

I mimed at her that I was leaving and she nodded at me distractedly.

As I waited with the rest of my classmates I tried to remind myself that I deserved to enjoy this day, regardless of whether my parents were excited for me. I’d worked hard for this degree, dammit!

My mood took a big upswing when I spotted Professor Trenton Chambers. One of the youngest people to ever be tenured at Harvard Business School, at 30 he was not only brilliant but tanned and fit with a bright white smile he flashed easily.

I’m sure I wasn’t his only student who often thought about sleeping with him.

I realized a second too late that I was staring. To my surprise he came sauntering over when he caught my eye.

“Cara! Congrats on your big day!”

“Thanks, thanks,” I stammered, feeling a flush start to creep up my cheekbones.

“Listen, I was speaking with your dad the other day. He told me about the business you’re getting off the ground. It sounds really interesting. You know that it’s exactly in my area of expertise, right?”

Of course I did. That’s what’s inspired me to look into it.

“Why don’t we sit down together?” he went on. “I love working with start-ups. Maybe we can exchange some ideas.”

“Um, yes. I would love it. I mean, yes, ideas. I love ideas.”

Oh Cara, I thought. Stop blushing like a school girl. You’re a professional business woman now.

I squared my shoulders with confidence and looked at him straight in the eye. They were hazel, with lovely, dark lashes and…

“…give me your number,” he was saying. “Are you free tomorrow?”

“One thousand percent!” I said like a complete dork.

“Great. I’ll call you in the morning to set up a time.”

“Thanks, Professor Chambers.”

He laughed. “You’re graduating now, Cara. You can call me Trenton.”

We smiled at each other. Was it my imagination or did he hesitate before walking away? Maybe he enjoyed talking to me as much I did talking to him.

Waiting to go onstage to receive my degree, I no longer minded at all that my dad wasn’t in the audience to see me graduate. He’d helped set up a meeting with Trenton Chambers! That more than made up for his absence.

No comments: